Curcumine is among the supplements that bodybuilders, athletes and adepts of a healthy diet and lifestyle use when paying close attention to their diet. There are many additives that are recommended for use by those who care about their health. The substance has been subjected to many studies over several years. It has a healing potential and is able to affect the body in many beneficial ways. Curcumine helps to increase strength and muscle mass. This yellow thing has many useful substances, but not everyone knows how and how much it should be taken.
To achieve significant results in sports, it is necessary to pay attention not only to training, but also to nutrition. Various additives play an important part in the diet. The useful and valuable properties of curcumine, which is an active biological substance, have been tested not only by time, but also with modern research. Curcumine is a great helper if you seek to improve your physical performance.
What is curcumine?
It is a chemical compound of natural origin. It is contained in the root system of a plant that belongs to the Curcuma longa genus – turmeric. Curcumine is obtained not from fresh, but from dried roots of the plant. These roots are then dried and ground into an aromatic powder of a bright yellow hue. It is mostly used as a food seasoning that gives the dish aroma, spiciness and golden appetizing color.
Since ancient times, turmeric has been highly regarded for its pronounced healing properties. In eastern alternative medicine, it was often used to treat various illnesses. The compound contains a coloring pigment that has been used for dyeing fabrics.
The turmeric powder owes its specific color to a special compound called curcumine. It has a crystalline structure and belongs to the class of polyphenols. It is highly soluble by ethanol, but in regular water – not so much. It is obtained through ethanol extraction, which the powder made from turmeric roots undergo in several stages, resulting in a bright yellow solution.
Natural coloring, which is listed under the name E100, is actively used in the food industry. It gives the product a yellowish shade. It is used in the production of margarine, confectionery, drinks, cheeses. At first, it was used as a fabric dye and food coloring, but with the discovery of useful properties, it began to be used as a nutraceutical.
As for today, the beneficial effects on the body have not been studied fully. Some of the healing properties of curcumine are still undergoing clinical research. However, the confirmed valuable properties are enough to recommend the compound as a supplement in a diet, especially for those you actively works out and simply monitors own health.
Prevention and treatment of diseases
Curcumine has rather pronounced therapeutic properties. It is used for the prevention and treatment of numerous diseases:
- Reduction of the risk of developing Alzheimer’s. Numerous studies have been conducted at the University of California, during which it turned out that the compound is able to destroy beta-amyloids, which are the main cause of the disease’s development. This discovery explained that residents of India and surrounding countries, who consume curcumine practically on daily basis, are less prone to Alzheimer’s and other types of senile dementia.
- Increase of protective functions of the body. The compound has a high immunomodulatory property.
- Anti-inflammatory activity. The compound reduces the chances of inflammatory processes development.
- Reduction of the risk of depression and nervous disorders. The substance has antidepressant properties.
- Ability to prevent cold. Curcumine has antiviral and antibacterial effects.
- Suppression of tumor development. Studies show that the pigment present in the compound significantly reduces and destroys malignant cells, protecting healthy tissues. There are even a number of studies in which antitumor drugs are developed on the based on this substance.
- Ability to slow down aging. Turmeric coloring pigment is a powerful antioxidant. This effect has been confirmed by various studies. This compound destroys free radicals, which accelerate the aging process and protects the human body from oxidative stress.
Complex beneficial action makes turmeric one of the most useful supplements.
The use of curcumine in sports and bodybuilding
Most of the beneficial properties of the supplement are of particular importance to bodybuilders and athletes in general. Curcumine serves as the basis for the creation of effective supplements with the following positive effects:
- Antibacterial. The substance prevents the breakdown of protein in muscle tissue. It prevents the loss of dry muscle mass on ripping, breaks in workout and cachexia in cases of severe diseases
- Anti-inflammatory. An increase in muscle mass is accompanied by the appearance of micro-cracks and inflammation. Curcumine prevents inflammation in muscle tissue and reduces Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). It protects the joints from heavy strain and prevents the inflammatory processes development, thus reducing pain. Taking the substance on a regular basis prevents arthrosis and arthritis
- Enhancement of the effect of insulin. The cells of the body become more sensitive to the coloring pigment. The anabolic effect of this hormone increases immensely
- Increase of testosterone in men. This effect of curcumine has no direct scientific evidence. However, there is evidence that it decreases estrogen, which is the antagonist of testosterone. There is another important action of curcumine – the protection of the testicles from adverse environmental factors, as well as from the harmful effects of alcohol
Inhibition of catabolic processes, protection of joints from inflammation, enhancement of the anabolic effect, increase of testosterone levels – all these factors make the substance very useful for athletes in specific.
How to use
In India and several Asian countries, turmeric is consumed in quite large quantities. The people there do not think about the proper use of the supplement, they benefit without making any effort simply because the compound is a regular part of their cuisine.
Curcumine in India is mostly eaten as a part of such a famous spice as curry. It contains black pepper, which increases the degree of assimilation of this compound. People who choose to follow this example should take turmeric along with black pepper. The additive is absorbed 20 times better and stronger this way.
To get even more benefit from this compound, the powder can be mixed not only with black pepper, but also with olive oil. Alternatively, you can use any other vegetable. The difficulty in consuming curcumin is in calculating optimal dosages. Its amount in the fresh root of turmeric is about five percent.
The content of the substance in the dry powder increases. The optimal daily dose of this seasoning is one gram for every ten kilos of body weight. Pepper should be taken in much smaller quantities. Only true spicy food fans can eat this amount of seasoning. If you’re not one of those, take curcumine in capsules. They are produced by many sports nutrition manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies, and may contain auxiliary components – black pepper or ginger extract, bromelain or D3 vitamin.
The supplement is recommended to be taken according to the instructions. The optimal dose is from one to three capsules per day during meals. The course duration is thirty days. If the effect is minimal, the capsules can be taken on a regular basis.
Contraindications and possible harm
Curcumine capsules are safe and do not cause neither side effects nor addiction. They are contraindicated for children aged under 14, pregnant and lactating women, before and after surgery, people allergic to one/some components.
There are also supplements without piperine available on market. They are indicated for use in case of problems with the urinary organs, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and gallbladder. The presence of black pepper in the composition of the supplement can cause an exacerbation of diseases and irritation of the mucosa.
Preference for the piperine-free option should also be taken when aspirin and other anticoagulants, anti-inflammatory non-steroid drugs, theophylline, carbamazepine, rifampicin, chlorzoxazone and similar are taken.
It is recommended to take no more than eight grams of curcumine daily. Overdose leads to:
- yellow feces
If you adhere to the recommended dosages, taking this supplement can significantly improve your athletic performance, as well as health.