There are plenty of various sports supplements on the market, but only a limited number of those actually have proven beneficial effects. Here, we shall examine why glutamine is beneficial, as well as how and how much it should be taken.
What Is Glutamine?
It is a substance from the class of conditionally essential amino acids and is an integral part of protein. It means that only a certain part of glutamine is synthesized by the body, so it does not cover all the need for it. The other part should be obtained with food. Another argument for its importance is its share among all amino acids, which is about 60%.
Some athletes regard this supplement rather skeptical, but here are its effects, to clear up any doubts:
- strengthening of the immune system;
- elimination of fat metabolism products;
- liver fat deposition slowing;
- binding of ammonia;
- acceleration of recovery processes after physical exertion;
- growth hormone levels increase;
- lowering of cortisol secretion;
- acceleration of protein synthesis due to the supply of muscle with nitrogen.
It’s better to determine the purpose of training before starting to take it. There are two options here:
- Ripping. Experiments show that taking glutamine in the context of aerobic exercise contributes to reduction of adipose tissue. The key to success is to make maximum emphasis on problematic areas and take the supplement in correct doses.
- Building muscle. Versatility is a feature of glutamine. It has a complex effect and is suitable for almost all athletes, beginners and professionals alike. It is due to the fact that muscles require timely restoration of glutamine regardless of the type of activity.
If there is a shortage in glutamine, the risk of injury increases, rate of muscle growth decreases and catabolic processes begin. Moreover, deficiency of this amino acid leads to overtraining and a decrease in immunity. All this explains the importance of taking glutamine against the background of training.
Professional athletes claim optimal dosage to be 8-20 grams of glutamine daily. The more specific amount depends on several factors, like physical condition of the athlete, frequency of workouts, diet, etc. In some cases, the dosage can be increased to 30-40 grams daily, but gradually.
There are two main regimens of taking this supplement:
- The first one is to take amino acids in equal doses for each day (2-4 grams). Such amount is enough to maintain a relatively high level of glutamine. The supplement is supposed to be taken 3-4 times per day.
- The second one is to take the supplement on workout days. In this case glutamine should be taken before and after workout, and also before bedtime. For example, a portion of glutamine of 6-10 grams is taken prior to workout and right after it. The portions are washed down with liquid or together with protein shake. It is important, however, to take glutamine apart from other amino acids. In other cases, the result may be worse.
How much glutamine is needed on a low carb diet? In this case, the dosage should be increased to 25-30 grams daily to minimize the risk of catabolism. Otherwise, the body may not have enough carbs, and it will resort to using amino acids from the muscles. By the way, studies proved that about 30-40 grams of glutamine stimulates the immune system.
Where To Get Glutamine
There are two ways of getting glutamine – from food and from supplements. In the first case, the total amount of food consumed should be increased. 100 grams of beef contains about 3 grams of glutamine, cheese – 4.6 g, eggs – 1.7 g, high fat cottage cheese – 2.4 g, sea bass – 2.8 grams etc. In other words, it’s rather challenging to get a daily dose of 20-30 from food alone.
Glutamine In Action
The purpose of it is to provide a swift recovery after intense workout. For the tired and exhausted muscles, it’s one of the best remedies around. There are three major effect:
- strengthening of the immunity. In periods of increased stress, it’s a rather important thing;
- increase in performance during workout. The supplement allows to train longer and with more intensity;
- acceleration of recovery processes and muscle growth.
It acts as a sort of «restorer», which makes it possible not to worry too much about possible decrease in performance or health issues related to training stress.
Top 5 Best Supplements
There are several criteria when it comes to choosing a great product – manufacturer, quality, price and reviews. This rating was made based on those criteria:
- MET-Rx L-Glutamine. It’s one of the newest supplements with a high standard of quality. One serving of it gives you 6 grams of the active ingredient. It comes in capsules in a powder form, which gives you a choice to take it as it is or mix it with food. This option is number one in terms of quality and price, with the latter being about 16-19 US dollars.
- Optimum Nutrition Glutamine Capsules. One of the most popular supplements among athletes. It sold in the form of capsules carrying 1 gram. The supplement comes in a variety of containers holding 60, 120 and 240 capsules. It’s the best choice for maximum comfort, for taking capsules is significantly easier than loose powder that needs to be diluted in water or protein shake.
- ALLMAX Nutrition Micronized. It’s a quality product with unique biological activity from a well-known brand. It comes in the form of powder and can be packed in 100, 400 ad 1000 grams packages. The features of this product include high-quality grinding and the absence of extraneous additives and components in the composition. It’s pure glutamine only. This supplement has rightfully earned its place in this rating because its high quality comes for a relatively low price, which is about 25 US dollars.
- MusclePharm Glutamine is an effective, affordable, high quality non-flavored glutamine supplement. The product comes in packs of 35 and 300 grams, with one serving being 5 grams of pure nutrition. A package of 300 grams is somewhat better in terms of saving money, for it provides more portions for a lower price for each.
- Dymatize Micronized Glutamine is sold in the form of highly digestible loose powder, which provides for maximum results. One serving holds 4,5 grams of active substance. The supplements come in 300, 500 and 1000 grams packages. This product combines both high quality and low price (18-20 US dollars).